Wake up in the morning and open the curtains to a misty and misty morning; There is a chill in the air and the time to start bundling up is here: winters are here! And while there are plenty of things you love about winters – steaming cups of tea, hot soup bowls, and an abundance of fruits and veggies – this is also the time when you need to take a little extra care of your hair and skin. The winter season can be quite brutal and it is often the time when you lose a lot of hair, mainly because you are not taking proper care of it.
These are some of the things to keep in mind during winters, to ensure you have hair that everyone will fall in love with.
- Wash only when necessary – The hair and scalp have oil – in oily hair there is an excess, in dry hair there is less than what is needed. But every time you shampoo your hair, you are removing all the natural oils from your scalp, leaving your hair dry and brittle. During winters, it is essential that you wash your hair only once or twice a week and preferably with a shampoo that does not contain parabens or SLS / SLES.
- Olive oil or coconut oil – It does not matter if you choose the luxurious jojoba oil, the exquisite extra virgin olive oil or the always reliable coconut oil, you must make sure to oil your hair before each shampoo session. If you’re in the mood to pamper your hair, you could even add a few drops of an essential oil like rosemary, which is good for your hair. Alternatively, you can look at Ayurvedic oils with the goodness of brahmi, bhringaraj, amla, and other herbs. Whichever oil you choose, be sure to warm it up a bit and then massage into your scalp and hair length. Let the oil nourish your hair for a minimum of 30 minutes, before washing.
- Condition first, wash second – Many people tend to shampoo their hair first and then condition it. However, if you go to a good hair and skin clinic , they will most likely tell you to do it the other way around. When conditioning after shampooing, there is a chance that not all of the conditioner will be removed; This can cause dirt and grime to adhere to those conditioner particles, causing damage to the hair. However, if you apply conditioner first and let the nutrition sink in, the shampoo will remove all the excess, leaving your hair feeling healthy and smooth!
- Hot or lukewarm water? – While it may feel good to stand under a hot shower on a cold winter morning, your hair may not feel as good. Have you ever wondered why you use hot water to wash greasy dishes? Because hot water will remove traces of oil faster and more efficiently. So naturally, when you pour hot water on your hair, all the natural oils will wash off, making your hair dry and brittle, while also making your scalp dry and prone to flaking. Regardless of the season, it is best to stick with warm water for your hair.
- Hide those styling tools Winters are that time of year, when your hair already feels very delicate; so when you use harsh chemicals or styling tools that use extreme heat, you are exposing them to more potential damage. So only during the winter months, keep those styling tools and products away and use them only when you really need them.
- Pamper your hair – This is also the season to pamper your hair, whether you want to massage your hair with some warm oil or do your best for a proper hair spa, go for it. You can use a hair serum or even an oil overnight to make sure your hair gets the moisture it needs. Depending on your hair type, you can also look at hair masks, made with aloe vera, yogurt, or egg, as these can provide deep hydration.
Finally, as is the case at any time of the year, be sure to drink plenty of water and eat enough fruits and vegetables, as these will provide you with the necessary nutrition, from within.