The hybrid battery overhaul has made things easier in more ways than one. There is a reason why people consider it a revolutionary idea. Before we proceed to shed some light on the various aspects associated with reconditioning, first let us provide you with information on how you can recognize if your battery is in need of any work.
Hybrid battery reconditioning decline symptoms:
One of the most prominent symptoms that should alert you that something is wrong with your battery is that there is a noticeable decrease in the vehicle’s acceleration power while increasing fuel consumption. In addition to this, you will notice that your battery charges and discharges too soon. The ICE engine will also run more than usual. The deteriorating hybrid battery will not activate the malfunction indicator light in the early stages. This will happen only when the battery is depleted.
Other Hybrid Battery Overhaul Points:
Hybrid batteries need a proper level of care if you want to make sure they last a long time. Excessive heat generation can cause a decrease in its useful life. Taking long runs with a hybrid battery that is not performing optimally can also damage other hybrid parts, including inverters and converters, which can be quite expensive.
A hybrid battery is an integral part of the hybrid system. If it is not working optimally, other hybrid components would be inadvertently affected and therefore this is something to pay attention to immediately, lest the problem escalate.
The perfect solution:
It’s the hybrid battery reconditioning that can save you a lot of trouble. It has a lot to offer, more than we will discuss shortly. It is prudent to first provide you with a brief overview of what battery reconditioning is all about.
- Reconditioning procedure:
The process essentially consists of two elements, which include charging the battery pack and deeply discharging it. The process involves combining the charging process with a deep discharge multiple times, leading to reconditioning of the battery. It leads to the breakdown of crystal formations or voltage dips within the battery, which restores the useful capacity of the battery that was lost. As a result, the cell’s voltage levels equalize with each other. In the end, what you get is a battery that is capable of providing more useful capacity to the vehicle that can be harnessed to its full potential.
For the overhaul process, you will need to have a overhaul package in your hands that will give you quality results.
The steps involved:
Let us now proceed to provide you with the steps you need to take to recondition your battery. Before starting the process, it is recommended to disconnect the AUX battery to ensure that it is not accidentally discharged through the interior lights during the reconditioning process.
- The first thing to do is charge the battery. You will need to charge the battery until the voltage stops rising. A full balance is also recommended, but not something you should do at this crossroads.
- Once charging is done, you need to discharge the battery. The voltage must reach at least 0.8V per cell.
- Repeat the charging process until the voltage stops rising and then discharge the battery at 0.5V per cell. Again, charging should be done until the voltage reaches its maximum level and then the battery should be discharged to a level of 0.1V per cell.
- Repeat the process one last time charging and balancing the battery. The charger should now be allowed to run for a minimum of 4 hours after the voltage stops rising. This ensures that the package is really completely balanced.
- You can now disconnect the charger and then let the battery sit for a minimum of 30 minutes. It is a good idea to let it sit for an hour before trying to start the vehicle.
- We have provided you with a complete battery reconditioning treatment that you can go through. However, if you don’t have that much time, you can also go for two discharge cycles instead of the full three. The two-cycle reconditioning treatment typically lasts for a single weekend, ensuring your job doesn’t have to suffer for it.
- While reconditioning treatment has proven successful in restoring optimal battery performance in most cases, sometimes it is not enough. This depends on the condition of the battery, as well as the degree of degradation it had faced when the reconditioning treatment was started. In case you do not get the desired results from the reconditioning treatment and instead get the failure errors, you should be aware that one or more modules within the battery have suffered a severe failure, which would require more than a reconditioning to resolve it. . In this case, a physical replacement would be necessary.
More on hybrid reconditioning batteries:
- In some cases, even a replacement would not work. For example, when we talk about Honda’s hybrid battery, you will find that replacing a single lever to match the remaining battery capacity is extremely difficult. Therefore, it is not advisable to try to opt for a replacement in this case. Instead, you’d be better off with a full battery replacement.
- On the contrary, when we talk about Toyota hybrid batteries, it has been seen that the replacement of faulty modules has given satisfactory results. To determine which of the modules has failed in a Toyota battery, you must perform a load test on each module. You will find reliable battery module load testers on the market, making things easier for you. They are not very expensive so money is not something you need to worry about either.
- After you have replaced the faulty modules, you need to perfect the battery reconditioning treatment a second time. This will ensure that the new module matches up with the rest of the battery pack. After you have replaced failed modules, you should make sure to perform regular battery maintenance to ensure that additional modules do not suffer the same fate.
The effects of reconditioning:
There is no denying that hybrid vehicles have many benefits to offer you. However, they also have some drawbacks. This is especially true when you think about the loss of battery power, energy, and capacity that occurs over time. This is a natural process found in all hybrid vehicles. Battery performance is bound to decrease over time. The only question to ponder is, when will the inevitable happen?
In such a situation, the hybrid battery overhaul is just what you need. Since this treatment is capable of restoring battery performance by up to 95%, you won’t be disappointed with the results it has to offer. Essentially, there are two main benefits that you can get from reconditioning your batteries.
The first big advantage is that you save a lot of money. You would not have to pay thousands of dollars to replace the damaged battery that does not give you optimal performance. By reconditioning your battery, you can save a tremendous amount of money. Most of the time, untrained technicians along with car dealers advise people to replace batteries as they charge quite a bit for it. You need to make sure that your talks don’t attract you.
The reason most people opt for hybrid vehicles is that they want to do what’s good for the environment. However, the purpose is somewhat lost when hybrid batteries are disposed of as they then make their way into the waste stream. With the help of reconditioning, you can ensure that the batteries are not wasted and do not get into the environment. The great thing about reconditioning is that you can do it as many times as needed, which makes the batteries reach a longer life.
There is no question that battery reconditioning can provide you with impressive results. However, the only thing you need to make sure is that you use quality equipment. You must use the proper charger and unloader if you want to make sure the reconditioning treatment is successful. So get your hands on equipment that is high quality and can be trusted before you think about going ahead with your hybrid battery overhaul.